Sunday, September 14, 2008

Prima Septimana

Did you know that there are no lower case letters in classical Latin? Or, that you've been mispronouncing J. Caesar's name your whole life -- you should be saying Kaiser (like the roll or Wilhelm!) But don't do it with manducabulla in your mouth!On a more serious note, the Latin that we're learning dates from approximately 500 b.c.e. Latin is an inflected language. Word endings tell you what parts of speech they are and their function in a sentence. 60% of English is derived from Latin. We learned to recognize derivatives using three clues. Orthography -- similar spelling. Homophony -- similar sounding. And, the most important one, shared meaning.REMEMBER... Carp Diem! Carpool Diem! Latina vivit!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Latin has been very interesting this year. We have already learned many things and I can't wait to learn more. From the past classes the thing that was most interesting to me was that there is only 24 letters in the Latin alphabet. There is no j or w. So, for example adjective in Latin is adiectivum.

Anonymous said...

I learned what a natural language is and what an inflected language is. A natural language is a language that takes words from other languages and changes constantly. An inflected language is a language in which you can tell the part of speech and how a word is used in a sentence based on the ending of the word. I look forward to learning even more in Latin this year.

Anonymous said...

Latin is not a dead language in Mrs.Marlowe's class. Spanish and English are very similar to Latin. A fun fact is that punctuation has been existence since just after the Magna Carta. I can't wait for more Latin classes.

Anonymous said...

In Latin class, we learned that six languages, called the Romance languages, came from Latin and have words that are similar in definition and spelling to Latin. They are Spanish, Portuguese, Romansche, French, Italian, and Romanian. Latin is going to be really interesting and I can't wait.

Anonymous said...

I learned that some words can be identified by their ending, and you can tell what they are doing in the sentence. This is called an inflected language.